Hey, guys! Are you looking to get a new carpet for your bedroom to either smarten up the décor or save your feet from the cold floor in the morning? I can make a wild guess if you are reading this article, you have got many questions. Specifically, how do I pick one? What should I look for? What should be an appropriate size?
I am going to breakdown my answer in this article. Let’s go!
1. Why Carpet For a Bedroom
A carpet is a textile floor covering typically consisting of an upper layer of pile attached to a backing. Carpets make your room cozy and add comfort to the room. There are hundreds of different types of carpets, and understanding the pros and cons of each will help you make a decision that is best for you. Here are the things that you should keep into consideration before buying a carpet for your bedroom:
2. Carpet Construction
The way carpet is constructed its durability and quality. Manufacturers make claims of strength and quality of a carpet, but it’s best to instead look at how the carpet is constructed. There are three main factors of construction:
Weight is an indicator of density, and it is measured by the square foot. More the weight, the more the fibers per square, and the more dense and durable the carpet is.
Density refers to how many fibers are in a pile and how tightly packed the fibers are. As a rule, denser carpets are more durable.
Many carpets are formed by twisting techniques, and twisting eventually increases the carpet’s durability and structure. Carpets with a higher twist per inch (TPI) are more durable.
When you are buying a carpet for your room, considering color and pattern is essential, but determining your budget is essential in the entire process. Carpeting prices depends on the square footage of the room, so be sure to measure your space before going to the store. If you have a larger master room, you should look for less costly options. However, if you have a small room, you can search for some luxurious options since you have less space to be covered. If you have a firm budget in your mind, you’ll save time at the store because you will have an idea of which carpet you can afford and identify the highest quality options within your price range more easily. Also, consider the installation and delivery fee factor so you can have an accurate picture of what your project will cost you.
2. Determine Pile
The style and pile of the carpet are determined by the way fiber is stuck to their backing. This determines the durability of the carpet. Here are a few pile types:
Loop pile carpets have the fibers in the form of loops and attached to the backing. This style can be tall or short and loosely or tightly connected to the backing. Loop pile carpets are super durable and are best for hiding dirt. When the loop remains uncut, you create a loop pile carpet.
They have no loops and have straight up fibers. They are typically softer and plusher. They are a good option if you want to add a more sophisticated appearance to your décor. When the loops are cut, you create a cut pile carpet. When you hear the words “cut pile” in a carpet store, they are generally referring to plush carpeting.
Cut-loop carpets are a mixture of loop pile and cut pile, making them dense and durable but also soft and plush. When cuts and loops are combined, you can create a wide range of patterns. They are more luxurious and give a formal look than a loop pile.
3. Best Material For Bedroom Carpets
The material you choose for your carpet is significant. The material can be both natural and synthetic. If you want to add comfort to your room, go with an elegant style. If plush is a little too much for your taste, you can use an excellent cute pile carpet. The most popular carpet material is:
Compared to other carpet materials, nylon bath rugs has a longer life. It is an excellent choice for dense traffic areas. It can be crushed, bent, and stretched, and it can attain its original shape.
- Nylon carpets are spill and stain-resistant.
- Continuous filament fibers minimize shedding and pilling.
- It is easy to clean.
It is recommended to steam clean nylon rugs every 12-18 months. This is because the hydrogen molecules in nylon can be revived by steam cleaning, helping the rug fiber to bounce back. It is known for its durability and versatility.
Polyester carpets offer durability. They are best for dry climates. If you opt for a polyester carpet, go with a well-constructed option. That means higher weight and density to ensure that it holds up over time.
- They are sustainable and durable.
- These carpets are incredibly stained and fade resistant. They are available in a variety of colors.
- They have less absorbency. However, oil-based stains tend to be harder to clean up.
- They dry quickly.
They are less durable than nylon. It immediately cleans stains by blotting with a cloth and stain remover.
These carpets are best for rainy, damp, and humid climates.
- Polypropylene carpets are stain-resistant, reliable, and durable.
- They are easy to clean and are not damaged by chemicals or washing products.
- They are solution-dyed, so the color doesn’t fade away.
- They have low density and are lightweight, so they are easily washable.
- They can handle high moisture.
- These carpets provide the same feel underfoot as the natural rugs do.
- They are economical and are visually pleasing.
Because of their composition, they are highly flammable, so keep them away from heat, fire pits, or grills. With the right care, you will get years of use with polypropylene carpets.
Wool is the most commonly used carpet material due to its alluring qualities.
- Wool is a non-allergen fiber that does not promote the growth of bacterias or dust mites. They are safe and healthy choices.
- The luxurious softness and warmth make wool carpets extremely comfortable.
- If cleaning habits are screened, and they are regularly vacuumed, wool help maintain its good looks. Wool can be bent and twisted 20,000 times without losing its texture and shape.
- They are super soft and flame-resistant.
- They are great for a high-traffic area.
If you choose to go with a wool carpet, make sure to put aside some money since they are pricey.
They are another type of synthetic carpets. They are similar to wool in texture and are in low in price than wool carpets.
- They are lightweight, warm, and soft.
- They are visually catchy. Acrylic carpets are available in bright colors.
- They absorb and release moisture quickly.
- They retain their shape and resists wrinkles and shrinkage.
- It is resistant to moths, oils, bugs, chemicals, and sunlight degradation.
These carpets are soft and make it comfortable to stand.
4. How To Choose Right Carpet
Choosing the right carpet for your room is very important. Here is an overview:
|Stain-Resistant||Loop pile||Acrylic, Polyester|
|Durability||High density and weight, Twist-style construction, loop-pile||Nylon|
|Softness||Medium density and weight, cut pile||Wool|
|Textured-look||Medium density and weight, cut loop or cut pile||Wool|
|Sleek-look||High density and weight, twist style construction, loop pile||Nylon|
5. Choice Of Color And Style
The choice of style and color is significant. Before you think about what kind of carpet you need in your bedroom, make sure that it matches your taste and ensure that the new flooring won’t disturb the overall look and décor of the room. For a traditional bedroom, you won’t want a bold flooring, but if you have a room with vibrant colors and decoration, you have unlimited choices for the new floor covering. A neutral-colored carpet, such as tan, gray or brown, is a safe option that will work with any wall color and décor. But it’s usually suggested not to choose carpets with light colors such as white or beige because they won’t hide dirt, and any stain will be more prominent on them. With light-colored walls, you can choose a dark-colored carpet such as blue, green or red to create visual interest. A textured carpet in a plain, neutral bedroom will also make it exciting and visually catchy. But avoid loud colors or busy patterned carpets because they are too odd for a bedroom.
6. Bedroom Carpets Pros and Cons
7. Care And Maintenance Of The Carpets
Like other floor coverings, carpets also need to be cleaned. It is easy to clean a carpet, then you think. Let’s discover some tips for cleaning a carpet:
Following are the simple tips:
- Vacuum regularly. Remove dust and dirt with a vacuum cleaner. This is a good habit that will improve the air quality of your home. Note that high traffic areas may need regularly vacuuming than other areas.
- Use doormats at entrances. It will prevent dirt from getting transferred to the carpet. Make sure to clean these doormats too, so they do not become a source of dust and dirt themselves.
- Take care of spills and stains. It’s best to clean the stains as quickly as possible. Don’t let the liquid or dirt dry and set in.
Spills and stains don’t have to be a problem. Always clean them as soon as they occur. If a stain or spill occurs, use a dry cloth to blot the excess that’s on the top of the carpet. Make sure not to rub the fabric so much; otherwise, the substance may push in the fiber.
- Use a piece of cotton wool and apply to the edges of the stain, working inwards.
- Blot with absorbent tissue or paper towel. The carpet may darken during this process, but this should disappear afterward.
- Dampen the area with a light soap solution (add half a teaspoon of professional carpet shampoo to 2 liters of lukewarm water) to remove any cleaning product residue.
- Blot with tissue or paper towel.
- Dry the area with a hair-dryer, moving continuously over the stain to avoid watermarking.
- Repeat this process if the stain is not entirely removed.
- The final step is to cover the stained area with six layers of paper towel, place a heavy object on top and leave to dry for 24 hours. The paper towel will absorb stains in the base of the yarns.
You can install a carpet in your bedroom that matches your taste and the style of the room. Carpets are available in a variety of colors and patterns.
I hope you have found an excellent carpet that stands up all circumstances! If you think that I missed any essential and key points, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to get back to me in the comments section below.